College Admissions Specialist
Location: Online, Self-paced
Preparing students for postsecondary success is what we strive to do as school counselors. However the world of college admissions can be a confusing one, and often school counselors haven't received formal training in this arena. Learn how you can implement a comprehensive school counseling program that helps students understand the connection between K-12 school and college and make a successful transition to postsecondary education. View the Specialist syllabus.
Upon completion of this course you should be able to:
- Identify the role of the school counselor in promoting college readiness
- Identify academic habits that prepare students for postsecondary success
- Articulate how school counseling standards support the development of academic habits and postsecondary readiness
- Identify ways to incorporate academic habits curriculum into classroom lessons and small groups that support K-12 learning objectives
- Discuss the importance of collaborating K-12 to improve students’ postsecondary success
- Strategize ways to collaborate with your school counseling, teaching and administrative staff to keep your school focused on the culture of college and career readiness
- List factors associated with postsecondary success in early childhood, elementary, middle and high school students and explain how a comprehensive school counseling program can have an impact on these factors
- Discuss the importance of a college-going culture and recognize what fosters a college-going culture
- Analyze your school's current culture regarding postsecondary readiness
- Discuss best practices for promoting a college-going culture that take demographic settings and special populations into consideration
- Recall the basics of financial planning for college to help increase awareness around college costs, and encourage parents to educate themselves early about the true cost of college
- Recognize and discuss community college opportunities with students
- Employ best practices for writing letters of recommendation
For $99 ($249 for nonmembers), you can earn 5 CEUs/50 Contact Hours focused on developing a culturally sustaining school counselig program, all from the comfort of your own home or office. Register now. Be sure you're registering for College Admissions Specialist Training (second edition.)
Graduate credit is available for an additional fee.
Access to all webinars, journal article, magazine articles and quizzes is included in the registration price. Books must be purchased separately.