ASCA Affinity Groups
The ASCA Affinity Groups are small communities of members who share a similar area of interest or identity. Affinity Group members enjoy opportunities to discuss shared challenges, brainstorm solutions, identify valuable resources and network with like-minded peers. Each group is formed based on grassroots interest and needs and offers opportunities for meaningful conversations in safe spaces.
ASCA Affinity Groups are self-directed and led by members. It is recommended that Affinity Groups meet monthly (Zoom), although groups may choose what works best for their community. In short, ASCA Affinity Groups are encouraged to communicate and collaborate as best fits the group. Participation is for ASCA members only.
Currently, there are four Affinity Groups:
- The Affinity Group for Elementary School Counselors is dedicated to creating a space for collaboration of resources and providing a network of support to help elementary school counselors with the unique challenges they face.
- The purpose of the Postsecondary Affinity Group is dedicated to facilitating connections among school counselors committed to equitable access by preparing students for all facets and pathways of life after high school.
- The Affinity Group for School Counselors of Color is dedicated to providing a safe space for school counselors of color to be authentic and genuine and to create opportunities to connect and network, share ideas and experiences, and discuss relevant issues.
- The Social/Emotional Learning Affinity Group is dedicated to helping school counselors best support their school communities by creating a space to collaborate, network and share resources and best practices.
- The LGBTQ+ School Counselors Affinity Group aims to empower and advocate for LGBTQ+ school counselors through collaboration and creating a safe space for giving voice as they navigate their intersecting roles and identities.
- The Rural School Counselors Affinity Group provides rural school counselors with a sense of belonging and professional development through creation of authentic connections and sharing insights to inspire them when facing the unique challenges of their role.
- The New School Counselors Affinity Group is dedicated to providing a safe place where new school counselors can find their voice, explore their purpose and collaborate and connect with others new to the profession.
- The School Counselor Educators Affinity Group provides support, helps address school counselor educators' unique needs and creates a space in which discussions are curated for school counselor educators by school counselor educators.
Want to get involved? Complete this questionnaire to join any of the above Affinity Groups or let us know what other group topics interest you.