Anxiety & Stress Management Specialist
"I’ve taken nearly all the ASCA U Specialist trainings. I'm a huge fan of these courses; they are so relevant and informative for our day to day work!"
– Jennifer Luecke
Location: Online, Self-paced
Anxiety disorders affect one in eight children and teens and more than a quarter of teens report experiencing extreme stress during the school year. Research shows that anxiety, if left untreated, can drastically affect a student’s ability to succeed in school. Whether it’s the perfectionist who fears receiving less than an A+ on an assignment, or the adolescent who’s overly self-conscious and feels judged by her peers, or the first-grader who panics when his mother drops him off for school, anxiety can take many shapes and forms. School counselors play a critical role in promoting calmness and encouragement to their anxious students. Learn proven strategies for both individual and group counseling with students affected by anxiety. View the Specialist syllabus.
Upon completion of this training, you should be able to:
- Identify different types of anxiety, the difference between anxiety and stress, and good vs. bad anxiety
- Explain how anxiety can affect students’ academic achievement, college and career readiness and social/emotional development
- List relaxation techniques and strategies that reframe tests as opportunities for students
- Determine whether students are in low stress, medium stress or at the red zone/crisis level
- Teach students how to assess their stress level quickly and effectively
- Describe various interventions to use with students
- Recognize when to collaborate with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators or involve outside help
The Anxiety & Stress Management Specialist training is $99 ($249 for nonmembers) and is equal to 5 CEUs/50 Contact Hours. Purchase now.
Graduate credit is available for an additional fee.
Access to all webinars, journal article, magazine articles and quizzes is included in the registration price. Books must be purchased separately.