Publication Proposal Guidelines
ASCA publishes three different series of books: the ASCA National Model Series, the School Counselor Resource Series and the School Counseling Principles Series. All proposals must fall under one of these three categories.
ASCA National Model Series
Publications in this series focus on the ASCA National Model, implementing the ASCA National Model or a particular component of the ASCA National Model. These publications help school counselors design and implement a comprehensive school counseling program. Titles in this series include:
- "The ASCA National Model: A Framework for School Counseling Programs"
- "The ASCA National Model Implementation Guide"
- “Making DATA Work”
- "Making Supervision Work"
- "Culturally Sustaining School Counseling Programs"
- "School Counselor Leadership"
School Counselor Resource Series
Publications in this series focus on lesson plans or curricula for small groups in a particular topic area. They tend to contain 10–15 lessons on a single topic and are aligned with the ASCA Student Standards: Mindsets & Behaviors for Student Success. Some titles in this series include:
- "Organizational Skills Boot Camp"
- "Fostering Resilience and Strength"
- "Mastering Test Anxiety"
- "Teaching Mindsets & Behaviors Through Nature"
School Counseling Principles Series
Publications in this series focus on foundations of the profession and take a big picture look at a particular topic. Titles in this series include:
- “School Counseling Principles: Ethics and Law”
- "School Counseling Principles: Remembering the Past, Shaping the Future – A History of School Counseling"
To submit a book proposal, send a brief synopsis of your book (250-500 words, to include details on which series it falls into), the table of contents and an outline of a sample chapter to Kathleen Rakestraw.
Copyright and Payment
ASCA holds the copyright on all books it publishes. Authors are required to sign a copyright transfer agreement. ASCA pays authors in copies of books rather than royalties.