In general, ASCA advocates at the federal level for policies that support school counseling and K-12 students. ASCA’s current legislative priorities follow:
- Increase funding to support student access to academic, career and social/emotional development.This includes hiring more school counselors and other school-based mental health professionals.
- Apply for equitable policies that further the ability of each student to be college and career ready upon graduation.
- Address the needs for a shortage of an adequately prepared school counseling workforce and a diverse workforce to better match the student population.
- Support safe and healthy schools.
- Continue to monitor legislation that impacts the US Department of Education, SAMHSA, DOJ and others to increase access to mental health services, school safety and prevention and early intervention services.
- Invest in prevention and early intervention services – especially in the elementary grades.