This workshop demonstrates strategies for conducting effective needs assessments as a first step in developing comprehensive developmental school counseling programs. Participants will learn techniques for sample selection, survey development, data analysis and how to data to formulate goals and objectives for a guidance plan.
• Understand how the use of needs assessments can help you develop a comprehensive school counseling program.
• Learn what make effective research questions and be able to turn research questions into quantifiable survey questions.
• Understand the variety of methodologies you can use to conduct needs assessments.
• Be able to develop and conduct needs assessments and statistically analyze data.
• Utilize findings to inform and develop a comprehensive school counseling program that will address identified needs.
Nancy K. Farber is a counselor educator with a specialization in research methods. A former school counselor, Farber has conducted many needs assessments, upon which her school counseling program was built. She has a keen understanding of the issues of primary concern to school counselors when it comes to needs assessments.
Schedule: Half-day training; 0.3 CEUs available to participants